Pimp My Dining Table - Reinvent with Blackboard Paint

If you've caught my video about how to make blackboard table mats, you might think I am obsessed with blackboard paint. Well maybe I am, I make no apologies for it. Blackboard paint is a great way to give a new look to items, it's pretty easy to do, the results are fun, and it's affordable. What's not to like? Following the success of upcycling some tired old table mats with the versatile blackboard paint, I decided to move on to a bigger project, namely giving a twist to our bog standard Ikea table. 

 
Step One -  As this table was new and smooth it didn't need any prepping or sanding. Depending on your surface you may need to give the table top a light sand and then a coat of primer. All I had to do for this piece was wash the top and let it dry to ensure a clean surface before applying the paint. I wished to keep a border on the table so that it wasn't solid black on the eye, so I measured the border I required and taped off the edges of the table. 

 
Step Two - I've read a lot about blackboard paint with people saying you shouldn't stir it too much. I on the other hand could not get it to mix in the first instance. The only way I achieved getting it to the right consistentcy was to pour it into a paint tray and mix it with a wooden lolly stick. I tested it on a piece of cardboard first to see if it went on in a nice black layer (rather than watery). 

 
Step Three - I applied the paint carefully to the table top. With the table mats I made I could paint without tremendous care but with the table top more diligence was needed. I tried to apply in one stroke of the brush and work quite quickly. Be careful not to overwork the paint on the table.  

Step Four -  After six hours I applied another coat following the same method to apply the first coat. I then let the paint dry for 12 hours before very lightly sanding. After wiping away the dust from the sanding, I applied one more coat of blackboard paint before letting it dry for 24 hours and removing the Scotch painting tape. 

 
Step Five -  Before you can start designing on your newly decorated blackboard table, you should prep the surface. Do this with a piece of chalk turned on it's side and rubbed downwards along the wood grain. Then wipe the chalkboard dust off with a clean cloth. This preps the surface, ready for you to design. Maintenance If any signs of wear and tear appear, to restore your table, simply lightly sand the top, wipe away the dust, then apply a fresh coat of blackboard paint to make things as good as new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment